Master of Arts

A master of arts degree in with a concentration in education can by earned by completing a program of study in the following programs: Counseling (School and Clinical Mental Health); Early Childhood Education; Educational Technology; Teaching English to Speakers of other Languages (TESOL); Integrative STEM (iSTEM)Multicategorial Special Education; Reading Teacher; Reading Specialist; Secondary Education; Science in Education.

Elementary Education candidates earn a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT).

Individual program descriptions and requirements are described below:

State of Illinois Licensure Requirements

Upon completion of their graduate program, candidates who wish to apply for a state of Illinois license in teaching, multicategorical special education, reading or school counseling may secure application materials from the Licensure Officer. Any candidate in reading must present evidence of two years of successful full-time teaching experience for reading upon completion of the requirement for the degree and for licensure.

Persons who hold master's degrees and wish to qualify for a multicategorical special education license without earning a second master's degree may do so by completing the coursework for licensure. These students must submit the same application materials as do applicants for the degree programs.

Each person applying for an early childhood, elementary, secondary, special education, or school service personnel license must meet the following requirements:

  1. a passing score in the 'old' Illinois Tests of Basic Skills (096 or 300)-replaced by the current Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP)
  2. a passing score on all 4 sections of the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP)
  3. a composite score on the ACT Plus Writing of 22 or higher or a minimum score of 19 on the Combined English/Writing at one test administration taken on the same date (before 9/1/2015),
  4. a composite score on the ACT Plus Writing of 22 or higher and a minimum score of 16 in Writing at one test administration taken on the same date (after 9/1/2015), or
  5. a composite score on the SAT of 1030 (critical reading + mathematics = 1030 or higher) and a minimum score of 450 on writing at one test administration taken on the same date (before 3/5/2016).
  6. a composite score on the SAT of 1110 (Evidence-based Reading and Writing + Mathematics = 1110 or higher) and a minimum score of 26 on Writing and Language Test at one test administration taken on the same date (on or after 3/5/2016).


The Illinios Licensure Testing System's (ILTS) content area test must be taken and passed prior to the start of student teaching. Candidates applying for a teaching license are required to pass Educative Teaching Performance Assessment (edTPA) before they will be eligible for a professional educator license.

Complete information on the testing program is found in the ILTS registration bulletin at

Field Experiences

Programs offered through the School of Education provide opportunities for candidates to apply the knowledge, skills and dispositions required for effective professional practice through planned, sequenced and assessed field experiences. The transfer of pedagogical knowledge and skill to professional practice is accomplished through pre-student teaching field experiences and student teaching at the initial licensure level, and through internship and practicum experiences at the advanced licensure levels.

Field experiences are intended to provide candidates with opportunities to broaden and deepen their understanding of educational theory and integrate this theory with educational practice. Therefore, these experiences:

The Chair of the Counseling Program is responsible for assigning practicum and internship experiences in community agency counseling and school counseling in collaboration with community agencies and schools.

The field experiences associated with each program are noted as part of the course descriptions. Field experiences completed at other institutions cannot be transferred to the professional program of study at Saint Xavier University. A minimum number of clock hours of field experiences are required of all candidates prior to clinical practice (student teaching). Candidates who intend to complete their clinical practice in private schools must complete at least 60 clock hours of field experiences in public school settings.

Criminal Background Investigations

State law (Illinois School Code 5/10-21.9) prohibits a school board from employing a person convicted of certain felony, sex, narcotics and drug convictions. The School of Education has made a commitment to local area schools to require criminal background checks for all candidates in programs with field experience.

Movement through the program may be suspended for failure to comply with the background check requirements.

It is the responsibility of the candidate to refer to the Illinois School Code and/or seek legal counsel if it is suspected that his/her criminal history may bar licensure or employment in a school district or agency.

Graduate Students and CLEP Credit

Graduate students applying for Illinois state licensure may elect to take the college level examination program (CLEP) examinations. If a passing score is attained, these courses and the credit hours earned will be listed on the Saint Xavier University transcript. This policy applies only to graduate students seeking licensure in Illinois (CLEP credit may be earned only to fulfill general education requirements for licensure).

Approved Programs Leading to Licensure

The School of Education operates the following programs approved by the Illinois State Board of Education, through which graduates are licensed in the state of Illinois:

* 6-12 for candidates who complete the optional middle grade endorsement coursework

Approved Non-Licensure Programs

Please note that some programs not leading to licensure can/do include endorsements for the State of Illinois.

Change of Program

Candidates whose professional goals change and who subsequently decide to switch to another program must formally request a change of program. This request must be in written form and be addressed to the Dean of the School of Education. Upon approval from the Dean of the School of Education , the candidate may switch programs.